Author Topic: The best, right diet....  (Read 4207 times)

Offline hmfitts

• Welcome to hpb surgery forum. Your thoughts, ideas, suggestions and experiences are welcomes.
    • View Profile
The best, right diet....
« on: February 20, 2013, 02:11:17 PM »
I'm Hank and I recently had surgery in which two-thirds of my pancreas was removed. I do not have cancer, however there was a cyst present with growth over a period of time and Dr. Singh suggested that we get rid of it. Dr. Singh told me in advance that with any portion of the pancreas removed there would be an increased chance of diabetes, and that mt diet and close monitoring of my blood/glucose levels would be very important. 

OK. so I'm a week out of the surgery now and my wife and I have been reading and on Google to determine what abets, right diet might look like. We figure that to get on a diabetic-like diet, PRIOR to actually being diabetic seems like a logical direction. I'm sure others have moved in this direction as well and I'd like to hear from others about what you include in your diet, what you exclude from your diet and over time what the impact has been on your blood/sugar levels.

In addition to the health implications, cost is always a concern, so any input of diet selections that represent a cost saving over other approaches would be of interest to all of us as well.

We CAN overcome!!!!

Hank

Offline Gajendra Singh,MD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The best, right diet....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 05:33:58 AM »
It is estimated that 30% to 50% of pancreatic cancers may be attributable to dietary factors. Both butter consumption and saturated fat intake were positively associated with pancreatic cancer.Processed meats have been linked to the development of PDA (Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma or in simple words pancreatic cancer). In a prospective study of more than 200,000 people, 482 individuals developed PDA during 7 years of follow-up (Nöthlings et al, 2007). Those who had consumed the greatest amount of processed meats had a 67% increased risk of Pancreatic cancer. Diets laden with pork and red meat intake were associated with a 50% increase in pancreatic cancer risk, but poultry, fish, dairy product, and egg consumption conferred no additional risk. This comes directly from Blumgart book for hepatobiliary surgery, most reputed book in the field.

After partial pancreatectomy or in general to avoid high sugar, best is to take high protein and low carb diet. Stay away from free sugar like candy, soda, juice, cake, muffin etc.....you know what I mean. Instead take fresh fruits, vegetables, avoid canned or smoked food. Exercise every day and you will be fine.

Offline hmfitts

• Welcome to hpb surgery forum. Your thoughts, ideas, suggestions and experiences are welcomes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 02:04:45 PM »
This is good information. I have been experimenting with my diet since my surgery with good results. Although I am not diabetic, my blood/glucose levels are high enough to warrant attention.

I was at 132 on the first day of monitoring after the surgery. I started with a cup of oatmeal with a little ground cinnamon and a few cubes of fresh melon. For lunch I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (light/low sugar jelly) and hot green tea. For dinner, I had a section of fish, fresh green beans and a few cubes of fresh fruit. Following variations of this diet over this week, I got my level down to 122.

Offline Gajendra Singh,MD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 02:15:36 PM »
Its a pretty good diet. I am sure you will be fine.

Offline AlmomiliC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 02:14:43 AM »
очень надеюсь на подсказки, пишите мне http://vli.su/kitchen
Добрый вечер! Купила три куриные грудки на подложке замороженные весом 1.600. Сварила в скороварке, решила взвесить на весах и ужаснулась! Не хватает 600 гр.!!! Не то что бы я мелочная, но за какие 600гр я заплатила? оО За лед???? Как в таких случаях поступать? Знает ли кто нибудь из вас какие нибудь законы по этому поводу? Так как у меня остались еще 2 пачки с куриными грудками, и я их не намерена использовать! Хочу все вернуть, сплошной обман!!! Так как у меня сейчас с деньгами немного напряг я разочаровалась, мне обидно! Что делать? Идти разбираться? Они что эту курицу в замороженном виде уже взвешивают? Ужас!

я ничего толком не пойму((